Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Salmon Cakes with Sesame Sauce

When I read through the Sunday paper I always enjoy reading the USA weekend little booklet.  I usually just glance at the recipe that is printed near the back but when I saw this recipe, provided by Food Network chef Ellie Krieger I ripped it out and saved it.  I've cooked a couple of her recipes in the past and they are usually healthy and tasty.  Prior to making this recipe, although I'd seen canned salmon in the supermarket, I had never cooked with it.  And now I know why!  I saw the ingredient list, 2 15 oz. cans of salmon picked over for skin and bones.  Well, if like me, you have never seen what canned salmon looks like, it looks like a big mess of skin, bones, and fish.  While this recipe seemed quick an easy, I spent at least 15-20 minutes (probably more!) picking all of the skin and bones out of the salmon.  We all still found little tiny bones in our salmon cakes while eating too!  Taste wise, these were okay.  Honestly, I'd rather have a nice crab cake.  The kids at their cake though (even with my daughter complaining that it smelled and looked like tuna fish and she hates tuna fish!).  My son really liked the sauce and was dipping his veggies and his salmon cake in it.  Definitely a little disappointed with this recipe and will not be making again.....although I now realize why most salmon burger recipes and what not call for fresh salmon that gets chopped up in the food processor!

Salmon Cakes with Sesame Sauce
recipe slightly adapted from USA Weekend, May 10, 2012

Ingredients:
1 cup bread crumbs
Two 15-ounce cans salmon, drained and picked over for skin and bones
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
5 scallions (white and green parts)
½ cup canned water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 tsps. olive oil

Directions:
1.  In a large bowl, flake apart the salmon with a fork. Add the eggs and mix well. Finely chop 4 of the scallions and add to the bowl. Add the water chestnuts, pepper and the bread crumbs and mix well. Shape the mixture into 12 patties.

2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1½ tsps. of the oil over medium heat. Add 6 patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Add the remaining 1½ tsps. oil to the pan and cook the rest of the cakes.Serve the cakes with the sauce on the side, garnished with scallion.

Sesame Sauce

Ingredients:
4 Tbs. mayonnaise
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce

Add the mayonnaise, sesame oil and soy sauce and whisk until smooth.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking this super salmon post in to Food on Friday. I am now signed up to follow you. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

    ReplyDelete